Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Fave Books of 2009!

Wow. 2009 seemed to be a really busy reading year for everyone!

Well, my official books read total was 205. I thought that I had read more, but the official "Books Read" monthly notebook does not lie. That total is books I read for fun, ones I reviewed for SLJ, and ones that I listened to in audiobook format.

Here is a list of some of my favorite books from this past year, broken into my own "genre" categories (or stolen from yabooknerd's fantastic year end list). Not all of these books were published in 2009. I tried really hard this past year to read books that were recommended to me over and over, some of them being much older!

In no particular order:

Best Endings of Great Series
The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan



Silvertongue - Charlie Fletcher



Best Follow Up Book
Everwild - Neal Shusterman



Best Fantasy Books
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn - Alison Goodman



The Books of Umber: Happenstance Found - P.W. Catanese


Quick and Fun Paranormal Romance
Moonlight - Rachel Hawthorne



Best Ghost Story
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman



Best Realistic Fiction
The Summer I Turned Pretty - Jenny Han



Best Science Fiction AND Flat Out Romance Triangle (Quadrangle?)
The Host - Stephenie Meyer


Best Steampunk
Leviathan - Scott Westerfeld



Best Dystopia Novels
The Maze Runner - James Dashner



Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins



Best Mythology Book
Radiant Darkness - Emily Whitman



Best Mystery
Death by Bikini - Linda Gerber



Best New "Got Me Hooked" Series
Chicagoland Vampires - Chloe Neill



Best Tween Book
Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life - Wendy Mass


Best Adventure
Bloody Jack - L.A. Meyer



Best Fairy Tale Retellings

Hush: An Irish Princess' Tale - Donna Jo Napoli



Princess Ben - Catherine Gilbert Murdock



Best "New to Me" Author
Maria V. Snyder - Poison Trilogy, Glass Trilogy


Utterly Shocking, Yet Compelling
Living Dead Girl - Elizabeth Scott



Book That Had Me Bawling
Before I Die - Jenny Downham



Best Use of Librarians in Story
Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians - Brian Sanderson



Historical Fiction
Samurai Shortstop - Alan Gratz



Killer Unicorns, Need I Say More?
Rampant - Diana Peterfreund

1 comment:

  1. Does JacketWhys know about that Death by Bikini cover? It's great! I can't do a "Best of 2009" list, let alone keep an actual list of what I've read. I could never be that organized! There were three or four books I really loved in 2008. There were some really good books this year, but none that reached quite that same level for me. Or at least, none that I can think of at the moment.

    ReplyDelete