Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Darklight


Darklight
by Lesley Livingston
Faerie can't lie...or can they?
Much has changed since autumn, when Kelley Winslow learned she was a Faerie Princess, fell in love with changeling guard Sonny Flannery, and saved the mortal realm from the ravages of the Wild Hunt. Now Kelley is stuck in New York City, rehearsing Romeo and Juliet and missing Sonny more with every stage kiss, while Sonny has been forced back to the Otherworld and into a deadly game of cat and mouse with the remaining Hunters and Queen Mabh herself.
When a terrifying encounter sends Kelley tumbling into the Otherworld, her reunion with Sonny is joyful but destined to be cut short. An ancient, hidden magick is stirring, and a dangerous new enemy is willing to to risk everything to claim that power. Caught in a web of Faerie deception and shifting alliances, Kelley and Sonny must tread carefully, for each next step could topple a kingdom...or tear them apart.
I loved Wondrous Strange and Livingston impressed me again with Darklight. This genre is so popular right now that I become nervous picking up new titles. The first book contained all the ideals of a modern faery tale, both the light and the dark sides of immortal life. As Kelley and Sonny's story picks up after the disolving of the Wild Hunt, Kelley must come to grips with her new life as a Faerie Princess.
What I love about this series is that Kelley and Sonny's love is idealized, yet it rings true. Unlike Bella and Edward or more recently, Grace and Sam, though the love that Kelley and Sonny share is wild, passionate, and overwhelming, it is also dangerous, consuming, and flawed. I can't say too much more without giving spoilers, but let me say that the decision Kelley makes at the end of Darklight is very heartwrenching, yet hopeful, and totally left me breathless for the concluding third book.
When it comes to setting, Livingston does a fantastic job blending modern New York City with the Fae Realm's Otherworld. The surroundings are lush and my imagination had no trouble conjuring the various locations. Central Park is so forefront in the story, that it almost becomes its own character.
In fact, all of the characters in this series are excellent. Every time I thought I had a character pegged, they would display a new facet of themselves. Both mortals and Fae are incredibly complex and intriuging. I cannot wait to learn more about their lives.
As this is the second book in the trilogy, I can't discuss the plot too much without giving away where the series is leading. Let me just say that there were some BIG revelations in this book and I definitely need to read the next one!
PS - LOVE the cover! The coloring is amazing and very ethereal.

No comments:

Post a Comment