Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Sapphique


Sapphique
by Catherine Fisher
sequel to Incarceron

Finn has escaped from the terrible living Prison of Incarceron, but its memory torments him, because his brother Keiro is still inside. Outside, Claudia insists he must be king, but Finn doubts even his own identity. Is he the lost prince Giles? Or are his memories no more than another construct of his imprisonment? And can you be free if your friends are still captive? Can you be free if your world is frozen in time? Can you be free if you don't even know who you are? Inside Incarceron, has the crazy sorcerer Rix really found the Glove of Sapphique, the only man the Prison ever loved. Sapphique, whose image fires Incarceron with the desire to escape its own nature. If Keiro steals the glove, will he bring destruction to the world? Inside. Outside. All seeking freedom. Like Sapphique.

I was excited when I received this ARC in the mail to review. Overall, I had enjoyed Incarceron, as you can see in my review here, but some of the complaints I had had about the first book are things I found bothered me a little bit about this book. What I did love: the steampunk vibe, the prison Incarceron, the vivid imagery surrounding the characters. What I didn't love: the characters interactions with each other, the predictability of certain revelations (though I was totally surprised with others), not knowing if there is a book three or not.

Though Incarceron got rave reviews, and I think Sapphique will as well, it was not a super standout for me. There were moments that I loved but overall I wasn't left with that feeling of Whoa! when I put the book down. I do hope, though, that there is a third book...it could end where this book ends, and be okay, but I'd love to see where the characters go from there in repairing their broken down society!

Full disclosure: ARC received from SLJ for review. Hardcover comes out Dec. 28, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment