Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

How the Male BF always gets overlooked...or my review of The Iron King


The Iron King
by Julie Kagawa

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart. (description taken from Amazon.com)

Okay. I cannot believe that it took me this long to pick up this book... With my love of dark fae books and fantasy in general, I should have known that I would love this book. However, I think that this series felt the same way for me that The Hunger Games trilogy did for a lot of people right before Mockingjay came out. I'd heard so much buzz that I kind of kept saying, "I don't want to read this just because everyone else has...I want to find my own books."

*Sigh* I should know better!! Almost all of the bloggers I follow are into the same type of books that I am and I trust their opinions. I was just being way too stubborn with this one...I put the second book on hold at the Library the moment, literally the moment that I put The Iron King down. I loved it.

Now on to the real discussion...

I really enjoyed the combination of modern technology and fae culture in this series. The Iron Fey is a fascinating concept that I'm surprised had not been come up with sooner...the blending of ancient faerie mythology and modern culture was just incredible.

Now. I'm all for a girl meeting a guy and falling in love, but it just broke my heart in this book that Meghan cannot see the wonderful thing she already had going...

In my opinion, Male Best Friends get overlooked WAY too often in books and movies. Perfect example...in Dirty Dancing, Baby chooses to go with the flashy dance instructor instead of the funny guy friend that is willing to carry watermelons for her! He was cute, totally into her, and yes, I suppose less exciting, but way more reliable!!

*Spoilers Ahead!!*
In The Iron King, Puck literally watches over Meghan for years. He is her bodyguard, her friend, her confidante... but the moment that Meghan sees Ash, Puck becomes a second class friend. It's obvious that Puck has real feelings for Meghan, she starts to realize it, and just passes him right by.

It nearly broke my heart on page 248 when Puck says,
"I would have gotten you there!" Puck roared. "Me! You don't need his help!Don't you trust me to keep you safe? I would've given everything for you. Why didn't you think I'd be enough?"

I mean, you could feel his pain....his betrayal...
I just wanted to reach out and shake Meghan.

*End Spoilers*

I have to say that my husband was one of those Male Best Friends and choosing to date him was one of the best decisions of my life. I always want to shout to characters - "Look! Look at _____! He's right there...give him a chance."

Okay. That's the end of my rant. Anyway, though I had that problem with the romance, I really loved this book. If you, like me, kept putting this one off...STOP! Go out and read it. NOW. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment