Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Rapunzel's Revenge


Rapunzel's Revenge
by Shannon and Dean Hale
Illustrated by Nathan Hale

Once upon a time, in a land you only think you know, lived a little girl and her mother . . . or the woman she thought was her mother.

Every day, when the little girl played in her pretty garden, she grew more curious about what lay on the other side of the garden wall . . . a rather enormous garden wall.

And every year, as she grew older, things seemed weirder and weirder, until the day she finally climbed to the top of the wall and looked over into the mines and desert beyond.(description taken from Amazon.com)

I really enjoyed this version of Rapunzel. Visually it was interesting and cleanly done. I really liked how Nathan Hale envisioned Rapunzel. She was slight but tough. (I also love that she's a redhead!!)

This was a wonderful girl power version! I just saw the movie Tangled and had thought that would be my all time favorite version of Rapunzel, but I love Shannon Hale's girl, too. Either way...she saves herself...and her "prince!" I loved, too, that this version weaves in Jack from "Jack and the Beanstalk." The allusions to that story were fun to pick out of Rapunzel's tale.

I can't wait to read Calamity Jack soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment