Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Small Persons with Wings...(They Hate to be Called Fairies)


Small Persons with Wings...(They Hate to be Called Faeries)
by Ellen Booream

Ever since she was teased for believing in fairies, Mellie has adopted a strictly scientific and logical approach to life. But when her parents inherit her grandfather's inn, she learns that for generations, her family members have been fairy guardians. The fairies exchanged some of their powers for this protection but now they want their magic back. An evil temptress in disguise wants the magic too, and before she knows it, Mellie is turned into a frog, her grandfather is discovered alive, and her parents are trapped in an evil spell that only lets them see the truth (which can be awfully brutal). Thank goodness for Timmo - the cute boy next door - and Durindana, a fairy outcast, who help Mellie save the day and encourage her to loosen up her views on family, fairies, and friendship. (description taken from Amazon.com)

I had a really, really hard time finishing this book. I wanted very desperately to love it, but something was just off for me. It took all I had not to just put the book down unfinished and walk away. *sigh* I hate when that happens.


What's really funny is I can't pinpoint at all why I didn't like this book. The storyline sounded right up my alley. I liked Mellie. I really liked her friend Timmo. I liked the concept of these selfish, quirky small persons with wings...whatever you do, don't call them fairies!


Maybe I was just in the wrong mood, but this was a book where when I put it down, I had NO compulsion to pick it up again. Not even a slight itch to know how it ended. Nothing.


It had a good ending, too. Mellie learns a lot about self-esteem, gains good friends, and her family works out some major issues that they'd had for generations. It just didn't speak to me. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment