Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Faceless Ones


The Faceless Ones
by Derek Landy
Skulduggery Pleasant, book three


Valkyrie screamed, sprinting toward Skulduggery.
He looked up and reached out to her, but it was too late.

If you've read the other Skulduggery Pleasant books by Derek Landy (and you really should have read them by now), you've seen it all before: Some bad guy wants to bring about the end of the world, and Skulduggery and Valkyrie fight valiantly to stop it from happening. A few people get hurt, sure, but everything's all right in the end.

Well, not this time. (description from Amazon.com)

Though I really enjoyed the first two books in this series, I found it really hard to get into the third. I don't know if it was because I was reading it at work and so only read a chapter or so at a time, but there were a LOT of characters to keep track of and the plot didn't suck me right in.

I did like that Valkyrie is starting to have to reconcile her "real" life with her magical one. I also really liked the plot in the last quarter of the book. There were some cool chase scenes, but overall I was a little disappointed in this book.

However, the very end has a great hook and I may have to pick up the next one just to see what happens next. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment