Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Shatter Me


Shatter Me
by Tahereh Mafi

"You can't touch me," I whisper.
I'm lying, is what I don't tell him.
He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him.
But things happen when people touch me.
Strange things.
Bad things.


No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.

But Juliette has plans of her own.

After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever. (description from Amazon.com)

I had some very strong, yet hugely varied reactions to this book.

Likes:
I thought that Juliette was a very interesting character. I liked her ability and the moral dilemma that stemmed from having the government want to use her as an assassin.

I liked the way that the book finished...can't really tell you without getting spoilery, though I will say that it sets things up for an X-Men style series. Fun!

I thought that Juliette's captor, her direct adversary in this novel, was really intriguing. I want to learn more about his background.

Dislikes:
While I enjoyed reading the romantic element of this book, and could understand Juliette's reactions, in some ways it was highly unbelievable. Would she really have this connection to a boy she hasn't seen since her childhood?

My biggest problem, oddly enough, was the writing style. I almost put the book down after the first few chapters because I had such a visceral reaction to the way it was written. Though I appreciated the concept that it was written like a stream of consciousness, it really grated on my nerves. I'm glad I stuck with it though, because the second half of the book felt a lot better to read and I thought the story was worth it.

My overall thoughts: While it's not my favorite book ever, I think that it was a fun read and that I will pick up the second book for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment