Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Unknowns

The Unknowns
by Benedict Carey


In a trailer park called Adjacent, next to the Folsom Energy Plant, people have started to vanish, and no one seems to care. At first Lady Di and her best friend, Tom Jones, barely notice the disappearances—until their beloved math tutor, Mrs. Clarke, is abducted, too. Mrs. Clarke has left them clues in the form of math equations that lead them all over the trailer park, through hidden tunnels under “Mount Trashmore,” and into the Folsom Energy Plant itself, where Lady Di and Tom Jones and a gang of other misfits uncover the sordid truth about what’s really happening there. (description from Amazon.com)

While I enjoyed the mystery aspect of this book and I'm usually a *huge* fan of puzzle-based books, this book just had too much real math in it for me.  (I was also coming down with a nasty headcold when I was reading it, so that may have contributed to my lack of focus, lol...) Anyway, I found myself skimming through the math explanations just looking for the next actual piece of action...not good. 

The two main characters were interesting and I found myself very curious as to what was going on in their little island, but I just couldn't push past the math part of this book to really, truly enjoy it.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment