Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Heartless

Heartless: A Novel of Vampires, Werewolves, and Teapots
by Gail Carriger
The Parasol Protectorate, book four
 
Lady Alexia Maccon, soulless, is at it again, only this time the trouble is not her fault. When a mad ghost threatens the queen, Alexia is on the case, following a trail that leads her deep into her husband's past. Top that off with a sister who has joined the suffragette movement (shocking!), Madame Lefoux's latest mechanical invention, and a plague of zombie porcupines and Alexia barely has time to remember she happens to be eight months pregnant.

Will Alexia manage to determine who is trying to kill Queen Victoria before it is too late? Is it the vampires again or is there a traitor lurking about in wolf's clothing? And what, exactly, has taken up residence in Lord Akeldama's second best closet? (description from Amazon.com)


I love the casual snarkiness of this series.  There is always something tongue-in-cheek happening. I find myself giggling all the way through, every time.  Alexia is a woman that I would love to be friends with in real life.  She's real, she's very practical, and like me, she loves nothing better than to eat!

Again I loved how all of the men in Alexia's life have made little accomodations to better fit themselves to her... I love that Alexia has not truly had to bend on any of her beliefs.  Though I do not claim to be a staunch feminist, there is a definitive part of me that applauds Gail Carriger for the way that she writes this series. :)

Since this is book four, I cannot talk too much about the specifics without giving away tons of spoilers.  Needless to say, if this sounds intriguing, I highly recommend you go back and try book one, Soulless.  Lovers of the paranormal, steampunk, high tea, historical fiction, and humor unite!

Full disclosure: Purchased for my Nook

2 comments:

  1. I've always been interested in this series, the covers are very pretty! While I am not the biggest fan of steampunk but this seems like a good one!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to start this series FOREVER. Seems to be happening more and more. Did someone shorten the days or something??? It's on my list -- thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete