Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

WIP:The Next Big Thing - Blog Hop!

So, my friend and fellow writer's group member, Becca, tagged me in this thing called WIP: The Next Big Thing. It's a series of questions designed to give readers a chance to know a little bit about our current WIP (Work in Progress)... So, here we go:

What’s the working title of your WIP?

Well, the working title for my current novel was originally "Revelation" when it began as a short story. Now, I sometimes refer to it simply as "The Fae Story" or "Lis' Story," so it really is only a working title. I'm going to have to brainstorm once I'm closer to publication...

Where did your idea come from for your book?

This will sound slightly silly, but my idea came from a conglomeration of little things. I have loved Faerie stories (not to be confused with their more innocent and happy cousins, the Fairy stories) for years and years and have tried crafting my own more than once. I am also obsessed with trying to find the perfect example of a great guy best friend that becomes the hunky boyfriend story, so again, I've been wanting to craft my own. And... it all sort of came together when I saw two things that directly inspired my main character, Lis (short for Chrysallis)...

One was Ashley Tisdale's video for the song, "Crank It Up"


I just adore the imagery of a club girl with tiny wings...hence a faery who adores the vitality of the L.A. club scene...












...and then Lis really came to life in my head when I started watching the TV show, Lost Girl. The main character's best friend, Kenzi, is actually exactly how I imagined Lis, except human...

What genre does your book fall under?

My book would be considered a young adult fantasy.
What actors would you pick to play your characters in a movie rendition?

As you could see above, I would love to have the actress, Ksenia Solo, from Lost Girl play Lis. As for the guys... Cam Gigandet (Burlesque) would make a fabulously rakish, Gryff, and I can't help but picture True Blood's Ryan Kwanten as the lovable Ewan. 


What is a one sentence synopsis of your book?

Faerie accidentally exposes all of her kind and must deal with the fallout in both the human realm and her own.

Will your book be self published or represented by an agency?

Though I would love to find a traditional publisher, at this point I think that I will be self-publishing. The publishing world is in an interesting place right now...

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? 


First, I have to remind you all that I'm not technically done with the first draft yet, LOL. I'm aiming (pushing myself really) to get a full first draft done and out to my readers by the end of this calendar year. From start (in the short story version) to now, I think I've been working on this novel for about a year... I think.

What other books would you compare this story within your genre?


Oh, I hate doing this! The whole point is to try and not be totally reminiscent of other people's works, but... fans of Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series will probably feel right at home. I know there are also similar elements in Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series...

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
 
As I've already said, I've always wanted to write a Fae story. When inspiration struck, it happened to coincide with the announcement of the annual Writer's Digest short story contests. I decided to craft my idea into a short story to enter (it didn't win, lol) and that's how it all began. Then with some major prodding from Becca (who is amazing, btw) it's been coming together into a much more involved story.

What else about your book might pique the readers interest?

Let's see...there's betrayal, romance, intrigue, creepy Fae, protesting humans, yoga, and more! :)

So, that's it for me, for now... If you stayed tuned here you'll be sure to see a lot more information as I get done with my first draft and start the process of editing and then publication... until then, these are all the teasers you get. LOL.

I'm supposed to tag other authors now to see if they'll participate, but I don't really know any that I think will have the time right now, so I'm breaking the chain! *cringes* Please don't throw anything at me. I'm sorry!   

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a fantastic sounding book and I want first crack at a copy when it comes out! Kenzi is my fav character on lost and I think you pick perfect hunk heartthrobs for her!

    if you are really not going to do the whole author thing all the more power to you! and good luck! but if you would like to talk to someone who has just been where you are I know an author who just wrote and published a fae book her name is Nathalie M. Leblanc here is her facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nathalie-M-Leblanc-Author/106775026044545 and her website http://www.nathaliemleblanc.com/ her story is different from yours it is about two girls who stubble on the fae world but still thought I would offer.

    Again I can't wait till your book comes out so I can read it! I know what hard work it is I must have started and left a million of my own such stories over the years but now it is my daughter who is the writer...lol...be brave and trust someone else to help you cause if you leave it to yourself you may never be done and you may never want to let it go. writing puts a piece of you into every word and it is hard to part with that let alone put it out into the world. I wish you great luck!

    Blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete