Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Between the Lives

















Between the Lives
by Jessica Shirvington

The perfect life or the perfect love. You choose. For as long as she can remember, Sabine has lived two lives. Every 24 hours she Shifts to her ‘other’ life – a life where she is exactly the same, but absolutely everything else is different. In one life she has a sister, in the other she does not. In one life she’s a straight-A student with the perfect boyfriend, in the other she’s considered a reckless delinquent. Nothing about her situation has ever changed, until the day when she discovers a glitch: the arm she breaks in one life is perfectly fine in the other. With this new knowledge, Sabine begins a series of increasingly risky experiments which bring her dangerously close to the life she’s always wanted. But just what – and who – is she really risking? (Description from Amazon.com

Though this book had moments that felt predictable, the characters and plot drew me in so deeply that I found myself not caring. Sabine's lives are both fascinating in their own ways and the fact that she lives two, well it makes for some deep thinking... at first, I found myself thinking how great it would be, but as Sabine explains to the person she tries to convince, it's actually an awful prospect as you get older.  Is it right to be married to one person, someone that you truly love, in one life and to have someone else in another? Could you spend every day of your life lying to everyone around you?

What seemed a dream opportunity slowly begins to feel like an oppressive nightmare.  

Until the day that Sabine realizes she might have the opportunity to choose just *one* of her lives... And then the day that she meets who might be the true love of her life... after that everything changes.  

This book was emotionally captivating, and even as I found the ending to be just a little too pat logically, my romance-loving, eternally optimistic heart kept telling me to ignore that and when I did, I found myself exceptionally pleased with how things ended... 

Romance lovers, check this one out! Unfortunately, the actual print book is not out here in the US, yet, but if you are an audio book fan, you can check this one out now. (Another note - if you listen to the audio book that's out now, it's an Australian production with an Australian narrator...reading a Bostonian character. That can be a little disconcerting. If you can get past that, though, the story is great!) Otherwise, I'll try to remember to let you all know when the book finally comes out here. 

Full disclosure: Audio book received to review for AudioFile Magazine

2 comments:

  1. I tried to find the audio book to check out and I couldn't :( I'm so sad, this looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Sadly at the moment I think you'd have to buy it to get it because its only been put out in Australia...I'm hoping it makes it over to the US later this year!

    ReplyDelete