Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Please Ignore Vera Dietz

















Please Ignore Vera Dietz
by A. S. King

Vera’s spent her whole life secretly in love with her best friend, Charlie Kahn. And over the years she’s kept a lot of his secrets. Even after he betrayed her. Even after he ruined everything.

So when Charlie dies in dark circumstances, Vera knows a lot more than anyone—the kids at school, his family, even the police. But will she emerge to clear his name? Does she even want to? (Description from Amazon.com

Okay, I give you this review full of trepidation.  Why, you ask? Well, not only have I been recommended A.S. King's books by, well, just about every librarian I know, but this book in particular has been lauded over and over.  It won a Printz Honor and has made COUNTLESS award nomination lists.  One of my librarian friends (Heather, you know who you are!) actually grew up with A.S. King and has been hounding me because I'd never read any of her books.  

So, what's the problem? ...the book didn't really do it for me. *braces for shouting and slapping* 

I liked it...mostly, but I in no way experienced the deep love that I had been anticipating.  I have no idea of that's in part due to the high bar I set for the book or because I listened to it on audio, so couldn't completely immerse myself in Vera in the fifteen minutes here and there that I was listening... I just didn't get it.  

I found Vera to be a very real and fully formed character. I liked the storyline and thought that it was very thoughtful...but I was never "wowed." 

I am hoping to pick up ASK THE PASSENGERS soon. I've heard again that this is a stellar book, so hopefully that one will hit me the right way. If not, I guess it may be that A.S. King's books aren't for me. We'll have to see... 

Full disclosure: Audio book borrowed from my Library

No comments:

Post a Comment