Pages

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Mini Reviews: A New Graphic Novel Edition



The Earl and the Fairy, volume 1
by Ayuko

Lydia Carlton is a fairy doctor,one of the few people with the ability to see the magical creatures who share our world. During one of her rare trips to London to visit her father, Lydia’s quiet life is suddenly transformed when she is rescued from kidnappers by a mysterious young man!

Edgar Ashenbert claims to be descended from the human ruler of the fairy kingdom, and he urgently needs Lydia’s help to find and claim his birthright, the legendary sword of the Blue Knight Earl. Things will never be the same for Lydia as she is pulled into a dangerous quest against dark forces! (Description from Amazon.com)

Okay. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. This one reads right to left which *always* throws me off, so I'm sure some of the problems I had were from that. I got a little confused about some of the male characters motivations, too, but reading book two might help clear some of that up...







Peanut 
by Ayun Halliday and Paul Hoppe

Before you write me off as a delusional psycho, think about what it's like to be thrown into a situation where everyone knows everyone... and no one knows you. Sadie has the perfect plan to snag some friends when she transfers to Plainfield High—pretend to have a peanut allergy. But what happens when you have to hand in that student health form your unsuspecting mom was supposed to fill out? And what if your new friends want to come over and your mom serves them snacks? (Peanut butter sandwich, anyone?) And then there's the bake sale, when your teacher thinks you ate a brownie with peanuts. (Description from Amazon.com)

I loved the way this was drawn and I thought the story line was easy to follow. I got really frustrated with Sadie, though. I hated her continuous lying and ended up really angry as I was reading. This one's also a book for high school and up due to some mature themes.








The Year of Beasts
by Cecil Castellucci and Nate Powell

Every summer the trucks roll in, bringing the carnival and its infinite possibilities to town. This year Tessa and her younger sister Lulu are un-chaperoned and want to be first in line to experience the rides, the food . . . and the boys. Except this summer, jealousy will invade their relationship for the first time, setting in motion a course of events that can only end in tragedy, putting everyone's love and friendship to the test. (Description from Amazon.com)

This book is half graphic novel, half regular prose. I found it confusing at first because the two parts seem to follow very different stories and it's not until much later in the book that you realize how they intertwine. Not my favorite book, but an interesting read.

Full disclosure: All books borrowed from my library

No comments:

Post a Comment