Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

My Pie Adventures Continue!

So, since I've decided to have a year of Pie Adventures, I've only grown more excited about the prospect and I want to share as much as I can with all of you...pictures, recipes, funny pie stories, etc.  So... let me catch you up: 

First, I made a SOUR CREAM AND RAISIN pie which was...interesting!

Not sweet, but more spicy like a pumpkin pie.  And if you don't like raisins, you definitely won't like this one.  However, if you'd like to try making this one yourself, here's the recipe I used from Allrecipes.com.

INGREDIENTS:
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup raisins

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C.)
2. In a large bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, sugar, vanilla, salt and nutmeg. Beat until smooth. stir in raisins. Pour filling into pie crust.
3. Bake in the lower half of preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until filling is set. Allow to cool before serving.

This pie would be perfect while reading any book set in the South, like the Caster Chronicles series by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl or the Southern Vampire Mysteries (ie - Sookie Stackhouse) series by Charlaine Harris. 

Secondly, I decided to go for a more traditional and sweet pie, so I decided to make my husband's favorite, CHOCOLATE PUDDING PIE

I realized as I was prepping it, though, that I'd made a silly mistake.  In order to make a pudding pie or any other type of chilled/no bake pie, you need to use a prebaked crust.  I only had the uncooked kind (and yes, at the moment I'm still cheating with store-bought crust...I'll tackle that extra challenge as the year goes on...).  So, first I learned how to bake an empty pie crust

Once that crust was set and cooling, I started the pie recipe, again from Allrecipes.com.

INGREDIENTS:

1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate
pudding mix
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped
topping, thawed
10 gummi worms

DIRECTIONS:
1. Make instant pudding according to directions on box.
2. Dump pudding into pie crust.
3. Spread whipped topping on top of the pudding.
4. Refrigerate until not too gooey.

This pie came out delicious and once I had the pie all set, it was super easy. I would just recommend letting this one chill in the fridge overnight for maximum firmness.  This pie would pair perfectly with a good holiday romance... 

As I continue my pie adventures, I'll be sure to share more pictures, recipes, and reviews of each pie's deliciousness.  Look for more tasty posts on the weekends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment