Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Movie Review: Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars
2014
Warner Bros.
Rated: PG-13
107 mins.

Years after walking away from her past as a teenage private eye, Veronica Mars gets pulled back to her hometown - just in time for her high school reunion - in order to help her old flame Logan Echolls, who's embroiled in a murder mystery. (Description from IMDB.com)

So, I'm pretty sure that I've mentioned at least once that Veronica Mars was my FAVORITE television show...ever. When I heard on twitter that Rob Thomas and Kristen Bell were running a Kickstarter to fund a movie...I jumped on that bandwagon so hard I was afraid I must bust a wheel off it. Well, you know what I mean.  I was one of those 91,585 backers that raised the required funds within 24 HOURS of the Kickstarter's launch.  :D  I do love me my Veronica...yes, yes I do.  

So...after months and months and months and months (basically a year) of getting behind the scenes updates and getting my t-shirt and other accoutrements supplied only to the backers, the time finally came for the MOVIE!! 

I was devastated to learn that it was only running in AMC theaters and the closest one to me was almost an hour away and in a shady-@ss town that I was NOT going to the movies in.  My heart broke.  Then I remembered that as a backer I actually received a digital copy of the movie the day it was released and I could watch it in the own comfort of my home...and my PJs, LOL.  

So, since my hubs is not a crazed fan like me and I wanted to watch without his commentary, at least the first time!, I actually watched the movie on my phone! First time for everything, right?  I worried it wouldn't be as great on such a teeny screen, but you know what I still laughed, cried, gasped, and cheered.  It was everything I'd hoped for and I cannot wait to watch it again on my big TV next time.  

SO without getting too spoilery... here's some things I loved:

Same bad-@ss Veronica.  When she comes back to Neptune to help Logan out of a bad situation, she falls back into both the P.I. habits and the witty sarcasm we all knew and loved.  

Veronica's amazing best friends, Mac and Wallace.  (Mac looks AH-MAZING now, btw...) All of the cast was truly necessary to make this work, but the scenes where these three fall back into the friendship fold just immediately drew me back in. I loved seeing them sit on the front stoop, drinking and laughing together.  

Ummm...and, yes, I will admit that all of the cast has, uh... aged well.  In fact, this particular scene where the men of Veronica Mars show off their male prowess and then somehow end up all soaking wet... well, there's a lot here for any fan to love. LOL.  Am I right?  

Basically, my overall review is OH MY GOD, GO SEE IT.  WHY HAVEN'T YOU SEEN IT YET??? 

Long-term fans of the show will love it.  There are little hints and quips and things that happen that are all shout-outs to those fans, but the best part of the movie is that you don't have to have been a fan in order to watch and enjoy this one on its own.  It is a fun, smart movie no matter if you have the background knowledge or not. 

Truly one of my favorites of all time now.  

BONUS: Check back on the blog on Friday for my review of the new Veronica Mars novel, The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line.


No comments:

Post a Comment