Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

Team Human

Team Human 
by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan

Mel is horrified when Francis Duvarney, arrogant, gorgeous, and undead, starts at her high school. Mel’s best friend, Cathy, immediately falls for the vampire. Cathy is determined to be with him forever, even if having him turn her could inadvertently make her a zombie.

And Mel is equally determined to prove to her BFF that Francis is no good, braving the city’s vampire district and kissing a cute boy raised by vampires as she searches evidence in this touching and comic novel.
(Description from Goodreads.com

While this is not going to be one of my top books for 2014, it was generally an enjoyable read.  There were a lot of funny moments and it did make you think about prejudice in a nice easy way.  It is tongue-in-cheek about the whole human/vampire love trope and I thought a lot of the side characters were great.  

My biggest (and pretty much only) complaint was that I often found the main character, Mel, to be annoying. I honestly think that the authors wrote her to be somewhat unlikable...and they did a good job of it. Her sheer pigheadedness and sometimes whiny personality just grated under my skin. I think listening to the book also enhanced this rather than making her easier to swallow.  

Not a book I'd recommend to everyone, but there are readers I know who would enjoy it at least as much as I did, if not more. 

Full disclosure:  Audio book received to review for AudioFile

No comments:

Post a Comment