Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Imitation

Imitation
by Heather Hildenbrand
Clone Chronicles, book one  

Everyone is exactly like me. There is no one like me.

Ven wrestles with these contradicting truths every day. A clone of wealthy eighteen-year-old Raven Rogen, Ven knows everything about the girl she was created to serve: the clothes she wears, the boys she loves, the friends she loves to hate. Yet she’s never met the Authentic Raven face-to-face.

Imitations like Ven only get to leave the lab when they’re needed—to replace a dead Authentic, donate an organ, or complete a specific mission. And Raven has never needed Ven . . . until now.

When there is an attack on Raven’s life, Ven is thrust into the real world, posing as Raven to draw out the people who tried to harm her. But as Ven dives deeper into Raven’s world, she begins to question everything she was ever told. She exists for Raven, but is she prepared to sacrifice herself for a girl she’s never met?
(Description from Goodreads.com

Gosh, do I love science fiction books about clones...yes, yes, I do! All you need to do to get me to read a book is to dangle the fact that it's about teenage clones in front of me and I'll pick it up in a heartbeat.  There is just something so shiver-inducing about the fact that we're so close to these scenarios in real life - it creeps me out in a way that pure horror stories really can't.

I love contemplating the ethics of cloning.  The idea behind it is usually altruistic and worthwhile - organ replacement, etc.  When you factor in, though, that you are creating a human being, one who will be walking, talking, thinking, and feeling..that's when things get truly interesting.  Could you kill someone - a thinking, feeling someone - to save the life of someone else that you loved?  What if they had been created solely for that purpose?  Is it right?

Poor Ven.  She was created to be whatever Raven Rogen needed.  An organ donor, a temporary body double - but is asking her to be bait for attempted kidnappers/assassins too much?  Heck yeah! I loved the way that Hildenbrand set this novel up so that you slowly discovered things about it as Ven went into the "real world."  There were lots of surprises, even amid the tropes you knew to expect because the story wouldn't work without them.  Having to speculate about who might or might not be an Imitation and who might or might not want to grab Raven or Ven and why... I was on the edge of my seat for a good portion of this book!  

In fact, as I was trying to contain my drool over the fabulous and quite swoony bodyguard, Linc, I just found myself becoming more and more intrigued with the larger story in Ven's world.  What exactly is the true purpose of Titus Rogen's creating the Imitations? Will Ven ever truly be able to escape? Who can she truly trust?

I cannot wait to see where things head in the next book... So, if you're as intrigued as I am...keep an eye on the blog because pretty soon I'll be hosting an interview with author Heather Hildenbrand right here! 

Full disclosure: eARC received from Netgalley, eBook purchased for my Kindle App 

No comments:

Post a Comment